With the exciting news that non-stop flights from Perth to London will begin in March 2018, Australians will soon have the convenience of flying directly to Europe for the first time.
On top of that, Qantas has also announced flights from Melbourne to L.A. will now happen six days a week, so now is the perfect time to start thinking about your next overseas getaway.
Whether you’re off on a Euro-trip of a lifetime or reuniting with family overseas, if you want to arrive at your destination feeling fresh, preparation is key.
Here are our top 10 tips for a long haul flight:
1. Put the world clock on your phone or buy a dual time watch so you can prepare your mind and body for the time at your destination.
2. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Ask the flight attendants for more during the flight before you start to feel parched.
3. Don’t overdo it on the alcohol if you do want to have a tipple. You will become dehydrated and feel sluggish rather than relaxed. Just stick to one or two, and balance it out with water.
4. Enjoy blissing out to films. Airlines these days usually have great entertainment packages to keep you occupied over long stretches. Catch up on new releases or watch a classic. If you’re a couple, why not watch the same movie at the same time and pretend you’re on a date.
5. If you’re someone who is a more partial to a book than a film, make sure you bring one along that you’ve been looking forward to reading. It’ll make the time spent in the air more enjoyable.
6. Sleep as much as you can. I know, it’s easier said than done! If you’re struggling, then try meditation or deep breathing. This will help relax the nervous system and make it easier to drift off. If you can get a decent amount of sleep, you will arrive at your destination rested and ready to explore.
7. Walk around the cabin at regular intervals when the seatbelt sign is off. It will help with blood circulation and cure your restlessness as well.
8. If your airline doesn’t provide a flight pack of toothpaste, eye mask and socks, make sure you bring your own. A decent eye mask will ensure you block out enough light to drift off during the flight, and brushing your teeth after main meals will help you feel fresh. Bring some face wipes as well to freshen up.
9. Try to get a better seat by checking into the flight early. If you want an even better seat, check with airline staff just before boarding to see if there are spots with spare seats next to them. You’ll be more relaxed if you have space to stretch out during the flight. There are no guarantees, but it’s worth a shot.
10. Wear comfortable and functional clothes, and bring a change of clothes in your carry-on luggage so you can hit the ground running upon arrival.
Travel style options for her:
The ultimate travel companion for a long flight, this super-soft Australian merino wrap can be worn as a cape, wrapped around and styled, or used as an oversized scarf. It’s the perfect versatile piece of clothing for a long trip.
You don’t have to trade style for comfort with these pants. Depending on the cabin temperature, you can match these with your favourite knit and a pair of flats or sneakers, or mix it up with a t-shirt and your oversized wrap for a simple yet chic look.
This oversized cashmere-blend scarf featuring a colourful digital image of Hawaii’s Hanauma Bay will add a pop of colour to your plane ensemble. You’ll look glam coming off the plane, and be ready for your travel adventure.
Bowl them over with this elegant and classic bag, which is made in Australia from Merino wool and Italian nappa leather. It contains an interior zip pocket and two slip pockets, and is the perfect size to bring on the flight. It will fit your travel wallet, toiletries and a spare top.
This convenient set is great for your in-flight accessories. Use the large case to store all your toiletries, including your face wipes, and the small case for jewellery, make-up, technology or any other travel necessities.
Sleek and functional, this travel wallet is finished in Italian nappa leather with a nappa leather insert. It will keep all of your travel documents secure while remaining accessible.
Stand out in the baggage carousel crowd with a custom luggage tag. Sturdy and weatherproof, this fun accessory will stand up to any travel requirements.
Travel style options for him:
Even though these are technically sleep shorts, they are the perfect attire for your long trip and beyond. Made from pure cotton and featuring a back pocket and side pockets, these colourful creations will make any journey comfortable.
High on comfort and style, these low-rise, white nappa leather upper sneakers feature three leather velcro straps for easy removal. With a patented ventilated outsole, they are the perfect shoes to keep on or kick off during a lengthy flight.
The choice of materials keep this bag light and durable. You can choose from leather straps with a press stud handle or an adjustable and detachable shoulder strap, and the zippered outer pouch gives you quick access to your items.
This oversized Dopp kit features classic looks, durable stitches and heavy-duty zippers, so you’ll be in love with this bag for a long time to come. Carry everything you need during the flight, including moisturiser, toothbrush and toothpaste, face wipes and any other toiletries you require.
Crafted in smooth leather, this stylish piece will age with character as it journeys with you. Inside, you will find a slim zip wallet for currency and heat-stamped labelled compartments for your passport, tickets, cards and luggage keys. Add a bespoke touch with monogrammed initials on the front.
This stunning timepiece shows local time and home time in an easy-to-use way. The time at the home destination is displayed by a 12-hour home-time hand in blue and a minutes hand in gold, so you’ll be prepared when you reach your destination.
There’s nothing worse than searching aimlessly for your bag when all you want to do is escape the airport. This personalised luggage tag will add a classy touch to your travel, and make it easier to identify your bag when it comes to collection time.