Winter school holidays are fast approaching, here are a few fun events happening over the break to keep you and the kids entertained.
RIVER RINK IN FED SQUARE
- River Terrace, Fed Square
- Saturday 1 July – Sunday 23 July
- Sun-Wed: 10am-9pm (last session at 8pm)
- Thurs-Sat: 10am-10pm (last session at 9pm)
- Adults: $24.50; Concession: $22; Child (6-14): $18.50; Junior (3-5): $15
- Family (2 adults, 2 kids): $71; Skating aid: $10.50 (numbers are limited)
- SESSIONS: 45 minutes and begin on the hour, every hour
- MORE INFO: fedsquare.com/riverrink
The Yarra River’s terrace will be transformed into a sensational site of skating and winter wonder. With its twinkling fairy lights and cranking tunes to set the pace, the open air rink will bring a touch of the northern hemisphere to our winter cool as happy skaters of all ages experience the joy of skating outdoors.
EUREKA SKYDECK’S ICE SLIDE
- Eureka Skydeck, Riverside Quay, Southbank
- Saturday July 1 to Sunday July 16, 2017
- 3 x slides for $12.00
- 6 x slides for $20.00
- Operating Hours
- Monday – Thursday: 10am – 6pm
- Friday – Saturday: 10am – 8pm
- Sunday: 10am – 7pm
- More info: eurekaskydeck.com.au/events/melbourne-ice-slide
From July 1 – July 16, the Southbank waterfront activation will feature a mammoth 36-metre long, four-metre high ice slide complete with imported Canadian inflatable ice tubes and specially designed lanes of two for punters to glide down on.
Open daily from 10am until late, with prices starting at $12 for three ice slides or $20 for six slides, kids will be vying for a turn to race down the mega ice slide these school holidays.
To add to the winter fun, all patrons of the giant ice slide will be offered discounted admission at both Eureka Skydeck and Federation Square’s riverside ice rink.
LUNA PARK – CHRISTMAS IN JULY
- WINTER SCHOOL HOLIDAY OPENING HOURS
- 11:00am – 8:00pm Friday and Saturday
- 11:00am – 6:00pm Sunday to Thursday
- WINTER OPENING HOURS
- 11:00am – 6:00pm Saturdays and Sundays
- More details & tickets: lunapark.com.au
- FREE admission for all
- Festive entertainment
- Magical snowfall every hour
- Special visits from Santa
- Outdoor (synthetic) ice rink
- Minions from Despicable Me 3, Saturday from 12pm-3pm
Grab your skates and head over to Luna Park these winter school holidays to join the ‘holly and jolly’, Christmas in July celebrations. From 1st – 16th July, Melbourne’s most iconic amusement park will be beaming with the spirit of Christmas as it transforms into a magical Christmas wonderland.
ST KILDA’S WINTER GARDEN ICE RINK
- 15 June – 30 July
- Family Ticket $65, Single $25
- Tues – Fri: First session 4pm, Last Session 9pm
- Sat & Sun: First session 9am, Last Session 9pm
- Next to the Palais Theatre, St Kilda
St Kilda’s very own Ice Skating rink! Running every day of St Kilda’s Winter Garden – MAP 57. With increased hours over the July school holidays, there is no better excuse to rug up and venture outdoors this winter. Sessions are 45 minutes and skate hire is included in the ticket price.
MELBOUNRE STAR – SKATE & FLY
- Melbourne Star Observation Wheel
- 101 Waterfront Way, Docklands
- From Saturday, July 1 to Sunday, July 16, 2017
- Adult $50.40, Child (6-14)$36.00, Concession $42.40
- More information: melbournestar.com/skate-fly
Offering two great experiences for one great price, Melbourne Star’s Skate & Fly package gives adults and children a chance to double their school holiday fun with a sky-high flight on the Southern Hemisphere’s only giant observation wheel before pulling on their skates to hit the ice at the O’Brien Group Arena.
EASTLAND ICE-SKATING RINK
- 175 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood
- July 1 to August 31
- Monday – Wednesday: 11am – 8pm
- Thursday – Saturday: 11am – 10pm
- Sunday: 11am – 9pm
Designed to operate during rain, hail or shine the rink will combat winter blues and become a ‘must-do’ during the school holidays.
It is expected more than 20,000 skaters will visit, which will remain open until Thursday 31 August.
Entry is free for shoppers who spend $20 at Ringwood’s Town Square, a culinary hotspot featuring Jimmy Grants, 400 Gradi, Huxtaburger, Pacos Tacos, Ang Ang, Brioche by Philip, Hunky Dory, Kyoto Café, Lavezzi Gelato, Caffee Stazione, Thai Alley, Hunter & Barrel, The Cellar Door and Golden Duck.
NIDA OPEN WINTER HOLIDAY COURSES
- NIDA Melbourne
- Southbank Arts Precinct & Wesley College
- July 3–16 July
- Available for students in grades K–12
Available for students in grades K–12 and running from 3–16 July, courses will range in duration, from two-day-long creative classes for young children to five-day drama classes for committed young actors.
HOTEL WINDSOR AFTERNOON TEA FOR KIDS
- Valid only on Monday to Friday seatings, from 3-14 July 2017
- Applies to children aged 3-12 years
- Limit of two children at promotional price per adult
- Reservations must be made at least one day in advance
- +61(3) 9633 6004
From 3-14 July 2017, The Hotel Windsor will ensure school holiday boredom is kept at bay, offering children aged between 3-12 years weekday Afternoon Tea priced at their respective age.
On arrival, each child will receive a bespoke stand featuring traditional ribbon sandwiches, savoury pastries and sweets. Additionally, The Hotel Windsor’s signature towering chocolate fountain will make a special appearance, accompanied with marshmallows, berries and more
- Clocktower Centre
- July 6
Head along to the screening of the Academy Award winning Disney favourite Frozen. Kids can belt out their best renditions of Let it Go and Do You Want to Build a Snowman as the watch all of the action on the big screen.
ALPACAS ON SHOW
- Melbourne Showgrounds
- July 8-9
If you have always wanted to meet an alpaca but can’t find the time to fly to Peru, this is the next best thing. The 2017 Royal Melbourne Alpaca Show showcases alpacas from around Australia and provides an opportunity for exhibitors to promote their studs.
- Manningham Art Studios
- July 7-14
Kids can get involved with arts and crafts at Manningham Council’s Creative School Holiday Fun workshops. From pottery and painting to creative writing, drama and circus fun, there is plenty to keep the young ones busy during the holidays.
POP UP PARK AT BULLEEN PLAZA
- Bulleen Plaza
- July 11 and 12
Bulleen Plaza will be transformed into sensory-friendly play space, Pop Up Park. For Inventor’s Day, kids can try robotics, virtual reality, gaming, silent disco, Lego club and digital storytelling and on the second day they can experience crafting, puppetry, miniature gardening, mindful drawing and 3D modelling.
BADGES OF HONOUR
- Greensborough Plaza
- July 10-14
Send the kids along to a superheroes badge making class. With a string of superhero films hitting the big screen over the school holidays, this class gives young ones a chance to create their own superhero badge to wear with pride during their break.
A MIGHTY WIND
- Gasworks Theatre
- July 11
Children’s classic Wind in the Willows is coming to Gasworks Arts Park as a charming and enchanting new stage production for the school holidays. Join colourful characters Ratty, Mole, Badger and Mr. Toad on their adventures around the river, the Wild Woods and beyond.
BRING TOYS TO LIFE
- Eltham Library
- July 11
Kids can bring along their favourite dolls, LEGO creations and figurines to star in their very own movie. Using stop-motion animation, they will create a fun film all about the fun adventures the kids’ toys get up to. Bookings are essential for the workshop.
PRINTMAKING: SHAPES AND COLOURS WORKSHOP
- Heide Museum of Art
- July 11
Using simple Russian Constructivist shapes and colours, learn about fabric printing and produce your own carry bag to take home as part of this Printmaking: Shapes And Colours workshop. The class is suitable for children aged 8-12, but they will need to bring along their own smock.
- Hawthorn Arts Centre
- July 11
Be prepared for a wicked time at The Witches, a stage adaptation of Roald Dahl’s classic tale. The creepy story revolves around a boy who accidentally stumbles into an annual meeting of witches, where he hears their nasty plan to get rid of all the children in the world.
DIALOGUE IN THE DARK
- Harbour Town Melbourne, Level 1, 29-31 Star Crescent, Docklands Melbourne
- Adult $43.30 / Child (9-15 years) $19.50 / Concession & Student $32.10/Groups 4 pax $24.85
- Tues-Thurs 10am-6pm. Friday 10am-9pm. Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 10am-5pm.
- Tours run every 20 min. Tour duration 1hr. Max 8 guests per tour session
- School holiday 2-4-1 ticket offer when booked at the venue.
- dialogueinthedark.com.au or (03) 9854 4444
Dialogue in the Dark is an immersive experience in total darkness through which, led by blind guides, guests interact and communicate relying solely on their other senses. Visitors to the exhibition will lose the sense they rely on the most – their vision- as they touch, feel, hear and explore the unseen and learn to “see” in complete darkness as they discover an iconic Melbourne like never before.
Guests are armed only with a white cane while a blind guide provides skilled leadership through life’s everyday challenges and activities. Within a 60 min tour experience, guests will discover how to orientate and move themselves in the dark, identify the world around them through the other senses and collaborate without sight.
2-for-1 ticket offer valid at the Dialogue in the Dark box office only. Open to ages 9 years and above. No filming or electronic devices inside the venue. Please arrive 20min before your scheduled session for pre-tour briefing. Offer valid until 16 July 2017
DESPICABLE ME 3 HIGH TEA
- The Langham, Melbourne
- Weekdays July 3 – July 7 – SOLD OUT
- Weekdays July 10 – July 14 – SOLD OUT
- Weekdays July 17 – July 21 10am concluding at 11.30am OR 12.30pm concluding at 2pm
- $39 per child* or
- $49 per child* with a Despicable Me 3 plush toy and Despicable Me 3 Minion Candy Character
The Langham, Melbourne continues its hugely popular children’s high tea series with Despicable Me 3 High Tea.
MT BAW BAW CHRISTMAS IN JULY
- Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort – 32 Currawong Rd, Mount Baw Baw, VIC 3833
- Monday 3 July – Sunday 14 July from 8 am every day
If there’s an event you’d like to add please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org