- Your guide to the perfect Little Black Dress
- 10 fashion trends you need to know
- Celebrity style: 5 famous faces with designs on your home
Tastefully prim or va-va-voom sexy; just how sharply it fits hips will determine the type and temperature of its femininity.
PENCIL SKIRT 101
- Precise fit \ lightly skimming for classic chic or snug hugging for a hip-wiggling, Marilyn-esque rear view.
- Classic kneelength is universally flattering \ lower calf even more for curves.
- Check your mobility before buying a sharp pencil \ a split or vent should enable at least half-stride walking.
- “Sit whiskers” (hip-level creases) are inevitable \ but should drop out as you stand and can be minimised by pressing or steaming them flat between wears.
“Red” and “leather” –could two elements be more evocatively paired in a pencil skirt? In fact, the Gauntlet zip-front, $299.95 by OnceWas, can be styled for prim days or spicy nights with a minor zip adjustment and a switch of modest top for silky plunged blouse. oncewas.com.au
- Anthea Crawford’s shapely stretch “black and ivory” pencil has a graphic, tweedy pattern, elastic waist and classic knee hemline, $269. antheacrawford.com.au
- LIFEwithBIRD Someone Like You snug-fit pencil is more va-voom than prim, with a steep, asymmetric hemline rise from right knee to upper left thigh, $280. lifewithbird.com
- Oskar Inside the Magic sleek-fit mimimalist midi pencil in black or white-striped stretch Tencel and linen, $120. oskarthelabel.com
Actor Keri Russell sharpens the point of pencil chic, accentuating its narrowing effect below the hips with an oversized knit on top and dagger-toe pumps below.(Getty Images)
LOOK WHAT I FOUND
Slimcut, gracefully shapely, the Liaison by Ginger and Smart chimes with “newness” on three fronts: lush floral border, assymetric below-knee hemline and glint of metal buttons, $449. gingerandsmart.com