- 6 of the best vegan dessert places around Australia
- 5 of the best ramen in Melbourne
- Melbourne’s burger rock star names his top 5
Michael Glasser, better known as The Hamburgler to his almost 50,000 Instagram followers, has the enviable task of hunting down the best burgers in Melbourne.
A year is a long time in the food industry, and the 23-year-old burger aficionado has seen first hand the rise and rise of burger joints since we caught up with him last May.
“It seems like every second day someone is opening something new,” Michael says.
Despite the Melbourne food industry hitting peak burger, and the burgers themselves getting taller and more outrageous, Michael says his criteria of what makes a good burger hasn’t changed.
For him, it’s less about Insta-ready freak burgers and more about quality ingredients. “It’s all about the first bite. You want to taste the beef, the sauce, the bun, the cheese, and how it all works as one,” he says.
Here are The Hamburgler’s top 5 new burgers in Melbourne:
The Burger: Big McSam
Where to get it: Hello Sam Cafe
- Ingredients: Double beef, double American cheddar, lettuce, pickles, onions and McSam sauce.
- Why I like it: Hello Sam has recently hired a new chef who has completely reinvented the menu. It has better taste and better quality ingredients.
- Why you’ll like it: The overall taste of the burger plus it looks great!
The Burger: The King
Where to get it: Royal Stacks
- Ingredients: All Australian pasteurised beef, tomato, butter lettuce, handmade mac and cheese croquette, American mustard, special burger sauce (add an extra patty, just because).
- Why I like it: Royal Stacks is a fast food joint with high quality ingredients, created by the founder of Grand Trailer Park Taverna and Dandenong Pavilion – meaning the burgers are delicious but don’t have the high price tag.
- Why you’ll like it: Imagine Maccas with high quality beef, mac and cheese and Bistro Morgan doughnuts.
The Burger: The Rowdy Double
Where to get it: Easey’s at Two Wrongs
- Ingredients: Double patty, double cheese, bacon, jalapeños, pickles, onions, ketchup and mustard.
- Why I like it: Imagine all the best things about Easey’s – now add a flame grilled beef patty!
- Why you’ll like it: A great location on Chapel Street bringing Easey’s to the south side.
The Burger: Raph Burger
Where to get it: Beatbox Kitchen
- Ingredients: Grass fed beef, cos lettuce, cheese, tomato, onion and stereo sauce. Definitely add an extra patty.
- Why I like it: Beatbox is one of the original burgers on the Melbourne scene. Simplicity is key here and it is done exceptionally well.
- Why you’ll like it: It’s is a burger for everyone – not over the top, not trying to be Instagram pretty. The burgers here will make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.
And for something out of the box…
The Burger: Cheeseburger pie
Where to get it: Murray’s Food Store
- Ingredients: Double beef, bacon, cheese, pickles, Tommy sauce in a pie pastry.
- Why I like it: The cheeseburger pie is the most convenient way to smash a double patty burger. The beer, pastry and pickles all work together in golden flakey harmony.
- Why you’ll like it: It’s something different but will soon be one of your favourites!
- Instagram: thehamburgler_