- 6 of the best hot cross buns in Melbourne
- Australia’s best Easter eggs for 2017
- Eat Drink Play Hop: everything you need this Easter
Baking the perfect hot cross bun for Easter can be a difficult job, aside from having the right recipe you also need to be familiar with your oven as each brand and model will produce a different result.
Here are some top tips to help you make the perfect hot cross buns this Easter, no matter the oven.
- Hot cross bun mixture requires a warm environment to rise, which is slightly above room temperature. Place the dough on top of your oven as it’s preheating as the mixture will benefit from the surplus heat.
- Never assume that the cooking time specified in a recipe will be right for your oven. To give you the most accurate reading we suggest buying an oven thermometer and keeping an eye on the rise through the oven door.
- Baking in the middle of the oven will give you the best all-round heating for the most even bakes – but beware, all ovens vary and can provide different pockets of heat in different areas making it difficult to get consistency. Some ovens like SMEG’s speed oven come with advanced technology, a variety of cooking functions and automatic programmes that make cooking a breeze.
- With most ovens, the heat coming from your main burner can be intense, meaning the bottom of your buns can start to burn long before the middle or top is cooked through. Avoid using dark metal bakeware as this will absorb more heat and speed up cooking time. Instead, opt for light-coloured, glass, or silicone bakeware to reduce the chances of overbaking.
- Add steam whenever you need it or invest in a combi steam oven, this will guarantee a delicious crunchy top and fluffy middle. An Electrolux combi steam oven is a mix between convection and combi steam that releases bursts of steam throughout cooking, making your hot cross buns moist and perfectly cooked.
See the Easter baking buying guide from Appliances Online to help you bake to perfection this Easter.